Meningitis can affect anyone, of any age – young or old, rich or poor. 10 celebrities who have had meningitis:
- Lisa Snowdon
- Daniel Sturridge
- Victoria Beckham
- Jonny Rotten
- Brad Pitt (pictured)
- Peter Andre
- Joe Swash
- Joanna Lumley
- Ian Rush
- Tana Ramsay
Teenagers going to University and young babies are sadly most at risk. Now while the risk of getting meningitis is low, and treatment can help you to pull through, the effects CAN be devastating. Getting as much information as you can for yourself and loved ones can help save lives.
NEW UPDATED Meningitis Vaccination information for Elborough Patients
We have two new meningitis vaccinations to offer in the next couple of months. I’m writing this to spread the word and try and simplify it all. Ever changing vaccination info can get confusing.
Available from 4th August 2015
Who is it being offered to?
- All students in school year 13 (i.e upper sixth)
- First-time university students up to the age of 25
So if you’re planning on setting off to Uni this autumn get it on your ‘to do’ list. For more information visit NHS choices
Secondly: The babies.
Available from 1st September 2015
When was your baby born?
- Born on or after 1st July 2015.Will be offered MenB with their other primary vaccinations at 2 months, followed by a second dose at 4 months, and a booster at 12 months.
- Born between May 1st and June 30th 2015.There will also be a temporary catch-up programme for babies who are due their 3- and 4-month vaccinations in September 2015.
- Born before May 1st 2015. Won’t be eligible for a NHS Meningits B
What if I want a private Men B for my baby?
By popular demand, and following on from lots of local chemists offering Men B on a private basis, we are already offering Men B privately to any patients who fall out of the remit of the NHS. The cost per injection is £115 and baby will usually need three doses. If you want to take up this service please contact us to make an appointment with Jane or Suzanne, our practice nurses who will guide you through the process.
The charity, Meningitis Now have lots of other useful information.